Saturday, January 19, 2013

Belted Kingfisher – Bad Hair Day

A few weeks ago I was out for a drive when I ended up on the mine hill bridge, watching the water.  I kept hearing a strange sound (go to the following site to listen to what I was hearing: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/belted_kingfisher/sounds )  that I had never heard before so I started looking around to find the source of the sound.  I finally noticed where the sound was coming from…………it was a strange looking bird sitting on a wire above the river.  I thought this is one ugly bird or it was a female bird having an awful bad hair day.  After taking a few photos of the bird, I headed home to call my sister (bird watcher) to find out what kind of bird looked like it was having a bad hair day and within a few minutes, she had my answer.  She told me it was a Belted Kingfisher so I got on the internet, typed in Belted Kingfisher, and there were many pictures of the same bird I had seen.  By the description on the internet, my bird is either a youngster or a female because of the rust markings on the chest.  Glad my sister is so knowledgeable when it comes to birds cause I could look forever trying to find out what the different birds are that I capture with my camera.

IMG_4998

IMG_5000

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have captured one of the birds I like to watch. Even with the bad hair day they are cute and interesting to watch. Keep your shutter clicking and send me another picture you need identified. Ha Ha. Your bird watching sister

Anonymous said...

Cool looking bird The sound they make is neat ..Janis...

Seth and Natalie said...

That is some sweet hair! Nice close up pictures too.