Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bottled Chicken and Fighting Oil With Oil

Today my husband and I tried our hand at bottling chicken.  The process was actually much easier than bottling veggies.  We bought 40 pounds of chicken but was only able to bottle 20 pounds because we didn't have enough bottles.  From the 20 pounds of chicken, we were able to get 19 pints bottled.  I ordered more bottles from our local grocery store and they will be in on Tuesday so I guess we’ll bottle more chicken in the coming week.  For the 20 lbs we bottled today, we thawed it in batches in the microwave for 7 and 1/2 minutes at 70 percent power.  After thawing and cutting it up, we put it in the bottles ready to be processed.
IMG_4703

IMG_4704

After processing for 75 minutes, our kitchen sure smells great.  I can honestly say that bottled chicken isn’t the prettiest looking but as long as it tastes good and it’s food storage, that is what matters.
IMG_4705

IMG_4707

Now comes my exciting part of the blog (anyways for me).  Through the process of canning chicken, I was browsing the internet when I came across this blog that stated that to get rid of grease on your stove, etc., you need to fight oil with oil.  I didn’t have much hope because my stove is very old and has literally taken a toll over many years of use.  It sounded very strange but I gave it a try.  I put a little cooking oil on a paper towel and scrubbed away.  After cleaning with the oil, I put some Dawn on a rag and wiped away all the oil.  I was totally amazed at the results.  I wished I would have thought to take a before and after picture but if you go to the first picture I posted in this blog, you can see how grungy the black part of my stove looks.  And now, just look at the difference it makes after cleaning it with oil.  It even got rid of all the little spots I have been working on forever.  My stove almost looks new again.
IMG_4708

IMG_4709

IMG_4710

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy O Boy! It almost looks good enough to eat...maybe. Really, it does look good enough to eat. -Janis the Great

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a very productive day. Looks good..Max