Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Brown Sugar Burns

I didn’t see that one coming.  For years I have kept my brown sugar in the freezer….It keeps it from going hard (other than freezer hard).  When I need it for a recipe, I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds till it gets soft enough to scoop out enough for the recipe I am using. 
A few days ago I was making some brown sugar oatmeal pancakes (see bottom of blog for recipe) for breakfast and as usual, I zapped the brown sugar but it wasn’t quite soft enough so I zapped it again.  I wasn’t paying attention and  when I reached in the microwave and gave it a squeeze………OUCH!  My fingers plunged into the bag and browned sugar gushed out.  It felt live a flowing river of lava running over my fingers.  By the time I’d gotten over to the sink, the brown sugar had hardened on my finger and I had to peel it off.  Ooey, Wooey, Ouch, Ouch, Ouch.  After peeling off the hardened sugar, I quickly turned on some cold water and let it run over my fingers for quite awhile trying to get the heat out of my finger.
IMG_0031

IMG_0032

You can see in the picture below how much my pointer finger had swollen and blistered compared to the pointer finger on my left hand.  My other finger, next to my pointer finger only blistered a little.
IMG_0036

These pictures were taken later in the afternoon.
IMG_0062

IMG_0063

Other than the immediate pain and shortly after, I haven’t had any pain.  I’m giving credit to the fact that after running my fingers under cold water, I put some miracle gel, peppermint & lavender essential oils on my fingers and have continued to do so for the past couple of days.  Two days later and my fingers are looking pretty good. 
IMG_0064

I just wanted to post about this in case there are others out there that do what I do with their brown sugar.  I will continue to keep my brown sugar in the freezer but I’ll be a bit more wise in the thawing process.

These Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes are so delicious.  They are a family special that everyone likes.

BSOP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

package looks yucky sure glad fingers are healing...Max