Saturday, May 31, 2014

Western Tanager/Yellow Warbler

Thursday, I was sitting at the kitchen table putting Blue Bond stamps in books.  I heard a thump at the window and looked up just in time to see a bird making a dive for the ground.  We put new, tinted windows around our home a few years back and they play havoc with the birds.  I guess they act like a mirror, imaging the outdoors.  We have birds flying into our big dining room windows all the time.  Usually, the birds hit the windows, leave a worm or a feather or two, then fly off.  But every once in awhile, they hit the window then fall to the ground.  As I saw this one fall to the ground, I went outside to see how bad it was hurt.  It was just sitting there, doing nothing.  I kept talking to it and petting its little head.  I didn’t want to overdue it so I went back in the house, came out a bit later and it had moved to another area.  I went back in the house and started getting our evening meal before deciding to go back out to check and see how the bird was doing.  Yeah, it was gone, so I’m assuming it flew off.  I hate to see the little birds get hurt by flying into the windows.  My sister and I have looked, looked, and looked again at the pictures I took, trying to figure out what kind of a bird it is.  As far as we can tell after thinking of several birds it could be, we narrowed it down to a female Western Tanager or a female Yellow Warbler.  My best guess, though, is the female Western Tanager.  Still don’t know for sure but at least it seems to be OK – Ah!  As you can see in the photos, it looks like it hurt it’s beak when it flew into the window or else it has some kind of bird beak disease and now I will probably come down with the bird flu, or something.  Ha - my luck.

IMG_8581

IMG_8585

2014-05-31

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a cute little bird. hope its not hurt bad. they fly into my window to....Janis...

Anonymous said...

he has a sick beak for sure OUCH!!
Maybe you better get a bird flu shot ha ha..Max

daiseedeb said...

I had a bird that looked exactly like that fly into our front windowed doors on Sunday afternoon! Maybe it's the breed! ; )