Thursday, March 15, 2018

Jade Tree

Many years ago, my friend gave me a Jade Plant.  This morning as I was sitting at the table, I noticed some spiky things hanging down from one of the stems. I've never noticed those before so I got up to look to see what they were.  As I touched them, to my surprise, they were actually really stiff and a little sharp.
It was then that I notice my plant actually had a cluster of pinkish white flowers at the tip of another stem.
 
I called my friend (whose plant/tree is at least five feet tall) who gave me the plant to tell her about my flowers.  She said that she also had her plant many years before it flowered.  She stated that now my plant has started blooming, it should bloom every springtime.
I decided to hit the net to see what information it had about my Jade Plant.  I read that my plant had many different names.....Money Tree, Money Plant, Jade Plant, Jade Tree, Friendship Tree, Lucky Plant, Dollar Plant, and Pink Joy.  It's scientific name is: Crassula Ovata and is native to South Africa and Mozambique.
WHO KNEW?!.....NOT ME.
To find out more information on the Jade, you can do a Google search, or by clicking HERE, it will take you to the site where I gathered my information.
The following photo is from the site I was searching.... Photo via gardensonline.com.au
I wonder if my plant will ever look this beautiful...........

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

Wow, that's crazy! You must really have a green thumb, your Jade plant is really gorgeous! I have had several, Jade Plants, but have never done well with them, I think it's awesome that yours is blooming, who knew!!

I hope you are keeping warm and enjoying these last few weeks of winter... ;0)

Hugs and Love,
Barb

LeAnn said...

I loved your story about your Jade plant. I think you will be blessed with the one like your last photo. I love that it is blooming and will bloom yearly. I have a very sweet story about my Lilad bush that I shared on a blog many years ago. It was a miracle.
Blessings and hugs for this one dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Your jade is neat let's hope it keeps blooming every year and gets even prettier. Max