Friday, June 10, 2016

Do Robins Drop Their Eggs In Flight?

Just look at the mess on my windshield……………..  Really, is that a robin egg.  Robins lay blue eggs, so that is what I am thinking.  And I’m also thinking this is not going to be an easy mess to clean off.

IMG_2894

IMG_2892

IMG_2893

I thought this quite unusual, that a bird would just happen to lay an egg in flight.  Do things like that really happen?  After thinking about it, I decided to look it up on the internet.  It stated that birds do not lay eggs in flight and if you see an egg like this, it means that an egg has been taken and dropped by a predatory bird, like a magpie.  That goes to figure, since our place is basically overrun with magpies.  It
seems like every tree has young magpies hopping from branch to branch.  Magpies really are a pretty bird……..if they weren’t such a menace, they would actually be fun to have around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuk have fun cleaning up your mess. I had a broken robin egg on my front sidewalk the other day...Max

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you did to that poor bird that would make her mad enough to go and egg your car, but maybe you should go and apologise.

LeAnn said...

I loved that you looked up this information and shared it. I didn't know any of this and I am happy that now I do know. I am sure it was quite a shock to have eggs drop from the sky on your car.
Blessings and hugs!

Barb said...

Hi Marsha,

What a mess! We were just commenting today that we have not seen many Magpies this year. They must all be at your house! They are pretty, but they are also like mean little gang members...always causing problems. We find eggs all over the yard, but our culprit is a hawk. He's always picking on the little birds.

Husgs,
Barb