Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Swedish Apple Pie

My husband loves apple pie and for me, ahem, well I just never make it.  Making the crust is not my thing.  When I first got married, I really didn't know how to cook and my husband and I got invited to the home of some people in the ward (who have since become very good friends).  I thought I would bring an apple pie....I mean really...how hard could it be to make an apple pie...make a dough, roll it out, slap it in a pie tin, fill it up with apples then cover it with another slab of dough....bake, DONE!  When it came time to eat dessert and the pie was cut, I was slightly embarrassed.  Who knew the apples would totally shrink down and the crust would stand proudly in a dome shape.  Their small son exclaimed.."hey mom, this pie's hollow"!  Moving on....................
I came across a recipe this week for Swedish Apple Pie.  It looked simple enough so I gave it a try.  It was fantastic, really.  In my husbands words..."It's a KEEPER"!  I have not been able to find where I got the recipe from (update: I found the recipe...highlighted above in red) but I copied it down and made a few changes due to not having the ingredients on hand and just making it the way I thought would be easier.  Quite a change from 36.5 years ago when I thought I had to follow a recipe exactly.  Following are photos of my Swedish Apple Pie, and the recipe I used.
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good and sounds good. I will have to try it.

Barb said...

Hi!

Boy, can I identify with the snow falling off the roof! I sometimes wonder why we put a metal roof on the house. Hopefully we will be getting a warm up soon! You guys have really been cold though, I'm praying for warmer weather. We still have an ice skating pond in the driveway, and the roads here are still icy and slick. Hurry up spring!

Love the recipe! I don't do crusts either, I try, but they never turn out. This looks like a winner, yummy!

Stay warm!

Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Love the recipe! I don't do crusts either, I try, but they never turn out. This looks like a winner, yummy!

Hugs,
Barb

Deb J. in Utah said...

That looks really good! I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

LeAnn said...

You sound just like me in some ways. I tried to make pies a couple of time without much success. I really never wanted to compete with my Mom or Mother in law because they really made good pies and I just never learned. Thanks for the recipe; maybe I will try it once more.
Blessings and hugs for this one!

Seth and Natalie said...

Easy as pie is such a misnomer. But easy as Swedish pie, that one could turn out to be true. I can't imagine there ever being a time that you were not an amazing cook!