Saturday, March 29, 2014

Bread Machine Bread Cooked In Oven

Yesterday when I went to get something in the pantry I noticed that we were very low on bread.  In my head, it was Thursday and I was thinking that my husband had to work the next day and he wouldn’t  have any bread to make a sandwich for his lunch.  I didn’t feel like going to town so I thought I would make some bread, a rare thing indeed!  I also didn’t want to get out the heavy KitchenAid mixer so I thought I would just make the dough in my bread machine then take it out, form it in a loaf and bake it in the oven.  I’m so glad that is the route I chose.  Very easy and the bread turned out wonderful.  I’ve never done that before so it was new to me and I was very pleased with the results…..so much so, that I actually made another loaf today, only this time instead of using entirely all-purpose flour, I added in a cup of wheat flour.  I’ve got an old wheat grinder (Kitchenetics (K-Tec) Kitchen Mill) that I bought at a garage sale for practically nothing.  It’s been about 20 or so years since I purchased it but it still worked like a charm.  They had a nice picture of it on Google Images, which is pretty similar to mine so I will use it to show you what it looks like:
Capture
This is how my first loaf looked after taking it out of the oven and brushing butter over the top.
IMG_8316
After leaving it on the counter to cool, my next step was to slice it and bag it.  For slicing, once again, I’m going back 20 years or so and using my old Presto bread slicer.  This little gadget is wonderful too.  All you do is put your bread on it and slice between the grey and white pegs, getting all nice, even slices.
IMG_8329
IMG_8334
The recipe I used is an old recipe that my father used to make bread in his bread machine.  It is a very tender, good bread.

 
For the loaf of bread using wheat flour, I used the same recipe and just replaced one of the regular cups of flour with one cup of wheat flour.
IMG_8350
That was just simple enough making bread this way that I think I won’t be buying too may loaves of bread anymore. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sure does smell good. and it looks good enough to eat....JANIS....