Monday, July 30, 2012

Rhubarb Crunch

My friend came over a few days ago to pick cherries with me.  When she was leaving I asked her if she wanted some rhubarb and she said she didn't but she had an excellent rhubarb crunch recipe she would give me.  When she got home, she e-mailed me the recipe so I went out, picked some rhubarb, and made the crunch.  Wowzers!  This is one of my new favorite rhubarb recipes.  It was so good.  Remember the cherry cobbler I mentioned a few blogs back but said the topping needed tweaking......I just found my tweak.  I'm going to use the topping for the rhubarb crunch and put it on the cherry cobbler recipe.  Just look how crunchy and delish this topping looks on the rhubarb crunch.

I decided right then and there that I had to have a piece so I cut me a piece, paused to take a picture and then decided I needed something else to go with my crunchy, yet gooey, warm goodness.

I'll bet you guessed it before even looking at the picture.  I'll tell you, there's nothing better than a fantastic crunch/cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream.  For those of you who say...."I don't like rhubarb", this recipe will definitely change your mind.  And if you've never tasted rhubarb, you don't know what you are missing.

After bragging up this recipe, I thought I'd better post the recipe so you all could try it....M-m-m-m!

Rhubarb Crunch
Mix Together:
   4 cups rhubarb; sliced in 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
   1 cup sugar
   2 TB flour

Spray a 9" x 13" pan with Pam and put above mixture in pan.

Beat Together:
   *1 egg
   1 cup milk

Pour over rhubarb mixture in pan.

Dot with 2-3 TB butter

Mix Together:
   1 cup sugar
   1 cup flour
   1 tsp. baking powder
   1/4 tsp. salt
   *1 beaten egg

Sprinkle over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes till top is crisp and golden.

Serve plain or topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.  Good hot or cold.

***I actually halved this recipe and put it in an 8" x 8" pan and it worked just fine.  The recipe calls for two eggs so I just whipped my egg, divided it and used both halves in parts of the recipe that calls for eggs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me. YUMMY Max

Seth and Natalie said...

How about you make some of this for mutual? Or I bet you could incorporate it into your sunday lesson. Or you could just bring some to my house. I have no rhubarb and it looks delicious.